Housing Benefit

If you are on a low income or you claim benefits, you may be able to get Housing Benefit to help with paying your rent. Your local council will pay any Housing Benefit you are eligible for.

You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if one of the following applies:

  • you are getting, or recently stopped getting, a benefit with a severe disability premium (SDP)
  • you, and your partner (if you have one), have reached State Pension age. Please check your state pension age.
  • you or your partner have been in receipt of Pension Credit since before 15 May 2019
  • you live in temporary accommodation
  • your landlord’s a county council, charity or housing association and they give you care or support – for example if you live in sheltered housing

If you cannot make a new claim for Housing Benefit, you may be able to apply for Universal Credit instead – check if you can claim Universal Credit.

If you are a homeowner you may be able to get help with paying the interest on your mortgage. Get further information including eligibility and how to apply.

Getting additional help with paying your rent

If the Housing Benefit or Universal Credit you receive does not cover all of your rent and you need more money to pay this; you could make a claim for a discretionary housing payment (DHP). A DHP is extra money from your local council in order to help pay your rent.

You need to claim Housing Benefit or the housing costs part of Universal Credit to get a DHP.

Your local council does not have to give you a DHP, the decision depends on your circumstances. If your local council do decide to give you a DHP, they will tell you this in writing with details of how much you will receive as well as the date when you will stop getting the DHP. If you still need a DHP after it stops, you can apply again.

Applying for a DHP

Contact your local council and ask how to apply for a DHP or contact us for further help.