Disability Benefits

If you have additional care needs or mobility needs (difficulty getting around) as a result of a disability you could be eligible to claim either one of the following benefits:

  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) 


  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)


For both benefits there are two components, these are the care/daily living and mobility components.

If you have reached State Pension age, then you could be eligible to apply for Attendance Allowance (AA). 

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

DLA is being replaced by PIP for people with disabilities who are 16 years of age or over. You can now only apply for DLA if you are under the age of 16 years. If you already getting DLA then your claim may end. You will receive a letter informing you when this will happen and how you can apply for PIP. Unless your circumstances change, you do not need to do anything until you get this letter.

If you are already in receipt of DLA then the following applies: 

  • If you were born on or before 8 April 1948, you’ll continue to get DLA for as long as you are eligible for it.
  • If you were born after 8 April 1948, your DLA will end. You will receive a letter telling you when that will happen but you will continue to get DLA until that date.


If your DLA claim is ending, then you will receive a letter inviting you to apply for PIP. If you do apply, you will need to do it within 28 days. Your DLA will continue to be paid until at least 28 days after a decision is made about your PIP application. If you are eligible for PIP, you will start receiving PIP payments as soon as your DLA payments end.

DLA for Children

DLA for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who:

  • is under 16.


  • has difficulties walking or needs much more looking after than a child of the same age who does not have a disability.

They will need to meet all the eligibility requirements. For further information on eligibility and how to apply click here.

Persona Independence Payment (PIP)

You can get PIP regardless of whether or not you are in employment. In order to claim PIP you must be aged 16 or over and usually have not reached State Pension age to claim. To check your State Pension age click here.

To claim, you must also have a health condition or disability where you:

  • have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for 3 months.



  • expect these difficulties to continue for at least 9 months.


For further information on health conditions and disability please click here.

If you are claiming because you are terminally ill then different rules will apply to your claim, for further information please click here

Following your claim, you will be assessed by an independent healthcare professional to help the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) work out the level of help you need. You will then receive a letter informing you whether or not your claim has been successful and the amounts you are eligible for.

For further information on eligibility and how to apply please click here.

Attendance Allowance (AA)

If you are State Pension age and have a severe disability so that you need help from someone with your care, then you may be eligible to claim AA. It is paid at two different rates – lower or higher. The rate you will receive is dependent on the level of care you need because of your disability. AA does not include an amount for your mobility needs. You do not need to have a carer who is caring for you, at the time of your application. 

For further information on eligibility and how to apply please click here.