Coronavirus Information

If you can’t work because you’re self-isolating, you might be able to get:

A self-isolation payment from your local council

You might be able to get a single payment of £500 from your local council if you’re employed or self-employed and you are unable to work from home.

To get the £500 payment you must be self-isolating at home because either:

  • you have tested positive for coronavirus.


  • you are told to self isolate by the NHS.


If you have to quarantine when you enter the UK from abroad, then you will not be able to get the payment this reason on its own.
You should be able to get the payment if you get at least one of these benefits:

  • Universal Credit
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Pension Credit
  • Working Tax Credits


You could still get the payment if you are struggling with your living costs because you cannot work even if you are not getting any of the above benefits, you.

For further information and how to apply, please refer to Bradford Council’s website:

If you come under any other local authority please search for this in Find Local Council on

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) from your employer

You might be eligible for statutory sick pay (SSP) if you are following government guidelines to self-isolate.
You could be eligible to get SSP if:

  • you have coronavirus or symptoms of coronavirus.


  • someone you live with has coronavirus or symptoms of coronavirus.


  • someone in your ‘support bubble’ or ‘childcare bubble’ has coronavirus or symptoms of coronavirus.


  • you’re self-isolating because the NHS told you that you’ve come into contact with someone who has coronavirus.


  • you’ve been told to self-isolate before you go into hospital for surgery.

You can read the government guidance about self-isolating on GOV.UK.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) from the government

If you’re self-isolating because of coronavirus, you may be able to claim Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). For example, you might be self-isolating because you or someone you live with:

have coronavirus or are experiencing symptoms of coronavirus, or you are recovering from coronavirus.


have a medical condition which makes you ‘extremely vulnerable’ to coronavirus – check if you’re extremely vulnerable on GOV.UK.

you came into contact with someone who may have coronavirus.


you have been told to quarantine after returning from abroad – check if you have to quarantine on GOV.UK.

If you can get ESA, you’ll be paid from the first day you were sick or self-isolating. You can check if you can get ESA on GOV.UK.

You might also be able to get Universal Credit if you’re on a low income or not working. Check if you can get Universal Credit on GOV.UK.

If you’re already claiming benefits and start claiming Universal Credit, you won’t be able to go back to the benefit you were on before. Before applying speak to one of our advisers to make sure your other benefits will not be affected.

You can’t get SSP and ESA at the same time. It’s usually best to get SSP if you can.

You can get a self-isolation payment at the same time as SSP or ESA.

If you need help, you can contact us to speak to a benefits adviser.